Junk yard weekend

ramicio

Junk yard weekend

Post by ramicio »

I'm going to the junk yard this weekend to try to find some used car parts that I need.

I need an entire rear axle. The brakes on my year of car suck and need the e-brake to be constantly used to self-adjust. This was corrected in the next model year, 1988. I need a new axle to fit the newer brakes. There is a scraping sound that sounds like a dust shield is hitting a rotor, but it's coming from inside of the rear axle. It has fluid, so it's not dry.

I attempted to do my u-joints the other week and the ears on the driveshaft were bent before I even touched the thing. So the thing vibrates. While I had the car up in the air to search for the aforementioned scraping sound I saw that the runout on the driveshaft was probably a good ⅛". I am going to look for an aluminum driveshaft from a fourth generation f-body car. It will be lighter, so if it has runout, it won't cause much vibration, it's an upgrade, and I need a driveshaft anyway.

I need a water pump and I want to convert from v-belts to a single serpentine belt, so I will be searching for the stuff to piece together that conversion.

There is a motor that pulls down my rear hatch that plain doesn't work, so I will be searching for that. I am only going to bother looking for the newer version from the 1991 and 1992 cars. They made it stronger so it doesn't break. I am strongly considering just going with the earlier latch that you shut manually, but I'm on the fence about that, because GM replaced them with the motors because people were breaking windows from the slamming needed to shut the hatch.

I am going to be ordering new valve stem seals and an intake gasket set. Either one of those are the reasons for my insane oil consumption.
ramicio

Post by ramicio »

I didn't find anything I actually needed. I found a hatch pull-down unit and appeared in good condition. I took everything but the switch to detect if it's popped or not. Well, that's why mine didn't work, and now it still doesn't. It works manually, and watching it towards the bottom it has some terrible flex to it. I am going to definitely look for the newer unit, which is plastic, but one huge piece.

The only other thing I got from the junk yard was a set of DSM 1gA fogs with brackets. I am going to polish them and sell them.